The life science industry has been a big player in Vienna’s science and economy sectors. Vienna is home to 600 life sciences organizations, including ambitious start-ups, successful SMEs, subsidiaries of internationally active large businesses, and world-class research facilities. In total, around 41,000 employees work in this field. The sector’s significance can be seen through revenues of around €13.3 billion, over 42,000 students, and more than 8,000 internationally recognized specialized publications in 2020. Ten to twenty new start-ups annually and large-scale site expansions by big companies show how much Vienna benefits from strengthening the sector through dedicated funding programs and infrastructure.
Vienna remains Austria’s life science capital
Take a look at some key data for 2020:
Life sciences companies
- Total number: 982 in Austria, thereof 511 (52%) in Vienna
- Employees (headcount): 60,440 in Austria, thereof 24,250 (40%) in Vienna
- Revenues: €25.1 bn in Austria, thereof €13.3 bn (53%) in Vienna
- R&D investments: €1,443 m in Austria, thereof €850 m (59%) in Vienna
Life sciences research facilities
- Total number: 55 in Austria, thereof 18 (33%) in Vienna
- Employees (headcount): 24,294 in Austria, thereof 14,541 (60%) in Vienna
- Publications: 15,169 in Austria, thereof 8,128 (54%) in Vienna
- Students: 77,366 in Austria, thereof 42,257 (55%) in Vienna
Further detail is provided in the new Vienna Life Science Report 2021/22. We also recommend screening our news feed and subscribing to our free mailing lists.